At the completion of the session participants will be able to do the following:
1. Define the terms “indicator” and “indicator system”.
2. Describe the relationship between a community health improvement vision and identifying and selecting indicators.
3. Define how an indicator framework provides a structure for determining a community’s health status, including social determinants of health.
4. Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of using experts and community members in identifying and selecting indicators.
5. Describe at least two techniques for engaging the community in identifying and selecting indicators.
6. Identify key criteria for selecting indicators.
7. Describe at least two examples of indicators or indicator sets.
8. Develop a data collection plan.